Every now and then, maybe more often than that, do I enjoy a cozy movie night with my mom or friends! But lets face it, it is our excuse to hide away from the world with our friends for a night. The get together of everyone to laugh and talk with a movie has always been one of my favorite downtime activities.
Though, movies are not for everyone, some want to be doing something active while this is a lay back kind of activity. But done right, I guarantee it’ll be just as enjoyable as a trip to the mall 😉 So here is some new and old fashion ideas!
An essential to any movie night is of course the food… Movie & friends goes hand and hand with the candy sweets and savory. As a teenager I’m always trying to find fun easy cheap ways to spice up the normal, so I’ve done some special research just for you for these yummy recipes!
You can’t go wrong with popcorn! And there is so many kinds! Yep, there is more than just salted, plain, kettle, or buttered. In fact ever heard of Everything Bagel Popcorn or Birthday Cake Popcorn? Super easy and yummy! If you’re a more “I’m trying to be healthy” kind of gal then this recipe is for you! One of my all time favorites and even I can make it, that’s saying something considering my cooking skills. Here’s what you’ll need:
- paper brown lunch bags
- Kernels (any kind will do)
- Garlic salt
- Any kind of butter spray (Pam works great)
- Take a paper bag and fill with 1 cup of kernels.
- Fold top so none will pop out.
- Put in microwave for 2-3 minutes like you are popping a regular bag of popcorn.
- Have a bowl handy when it is done and dump popcorn inside.
- Spray with pam and sprinkle desired amount of garlic salt onto popcorn!
- Chips & Salsa + Guacamole
I think recently this favored snack has exploded over America the past couple years!
- Chips (I prefer the blue chips over tortilla because yum!)
- Any salsa! There’s so many out there varying from spicy to sweet to fruity to savory!
- If you’re a guacamole fan here’s a simple recipe for you:
- 2-3 ripe avocados | Cut down the middle and all the way around with a knife, pull apart, throw seed and skin away, then mash up with fork leaving some chunks.
- Add 1 1/3 tsp of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of Cayenne pepper | mix in
As for the sweets, surprisingly I am not the biggest fan. This is mainly because I am anemic and my body rejects sugar as much as possible. You could imagine how I feel when I’m in the hormonal mood to down a tub of Ben & Jerry’s. Every now and then I do enjoy a good mint and chocolate chip ice cream! And as for candy Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids, and Twizzlers are my all time favorites. A good alternative for the rest of you who are not the biggest sweet junkie or want to try something different, I find any kind of fruit dipped in Nutella absolutely amazing! My favorite to dip is strawberries.
All food recipes are on my pinterest.
To Get Comfy
Sometimes just lounging around in the living room with everyone in an awkward place on the couch and chairs just doesn’t cut it. Find an open space or all dog pile into a big bed and fill it with big blankets, throws, and pillows. Have fun with it! Make a huge tent with fairy lights, light some candles!
Using the television is so 5 years ago, get creative and make a homemade smartphone projector! Here’s all that you’ll need:
- shoe box of any kind, bigger the better!
- Magnify glass
- Paper clip
- A sharp something to cut the box
- On the front of the shoe box of the shorter side trace the diameter of the magnifying glass.
- Cut out that circle and dispose.
- Tape the magnify glass lens with the tape to the box.
- Bend the paper clip into the position you’ll see on the side. This is a stand for your phone.
- Turn head of phone to the right and done!
Either have your choice of Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or a DVD drive!
My Netflix + DVD Picks
It’s the most important and fun part to choose what you’re going to watch! Could it be horror? Action and comedy, rom com? Here are some of my favs to watch!
Ah yes, the classic Friends. Honestly can’t go wrong! Every show has me laughing carelessly.
- The Book Thief
This Hitler drama, based off of the amazing Best-Seller book by Markus Zusak is truly a masterpiece, it opens up your mind and heart so much and prepare the tissues.
Perfect combination of funny and thriller! Benedict Cumberbatch is an absolute yes.
- How to Steal a Million
Yes I have taken a classic turn. With Audrey Hepburn and Peter O’Toole, this 1966 film is comforting to the old souls!
One of my all time favorite rom coms. It has a bit of British comedy in it as well which I LOVE. Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany meet as tennis champions at the Wimbledon tennis competition, with the game and Kirsten’s father in the way things become a bit complicated.
- The Wedding Planner
One of my all time favorite J Lo films! She poses as the ultimate wedding planner till she has to unexpectedly plan the wedding for the guys she falls in love with, Matthew McConaughey.
I really enjoyed finding and experiencing with all these different ideas! PLEASE let me know sometime if you end up trying any of these things! Next week I have a special post planned for Spring because its right around the corner! Again I’d like to thank every single one of you for joining this little family here. And because I love you all so much I’d like to put a little announcement here that if you go to Brusters tomorrow night in your pajamas you get a FREE ice cream. Yep. You’re welcome.
Question: What are your favorite binge series and movies?
Songs I’ve been loving
Credit all photos & gifs to Tumblr